Saturday, July 12, 2014

Golden Meatball Casserole - From Momma's Recipe Box

This is the first of a series of recipes from my mother's recipe box. She recently passed away and several of the grandkids expressed a desire to have her recipes. So, today I'm starting a group of her recipes. Not all of them originated from her and through the years we have forgotten where they came from. If there is a name associated with the recipe, I'll include it. I haven't had a chance to make all of these, so there aren't any pictures. If you make any of these, please take a picture and send it to me.

I don't remember the first time I had this entrée but I do remember it being very good.

Golden Meatball Casserole
 
 
1 lb. Ground Beef
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (Must be fresh. Dried bread crumbs will not work)
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
Oil
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked rice (not minute rice)
2 large carrots, cut in quarters
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup chopped union
1/2 lb. Velveeta - cubed
 
Add more water as needed
 
Combine meat, bread crumbs, egg and salt; mix lightly. Shape into 18 meatballs; brown in small amount of oil on all sides in a large skillet. Drain.
 
Add water, rice, carrots, green peppers and onion. Cover and simmer approximately 50 minutes (2 hours on a diffuser) Add water as needed. [Alternate cooking method - After bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour and then add cheese and return to oven for ten minutes]
 
Add Velveeta; heat until Velveeta melts.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment