Monday, July 7, 2014

In Honor of my Momma

On June 11th, my blessed mother went to be with the Lord. She gave me a love for eating and cooking. Watching her prepare meals for my dad as I was growing up and knowing the love that went into each meal was an inspiration. Every meal she cooked was filled with the same love that she shared everyday of her life.

As I got older it was hard for me to accept that when they got married, she only knew how to cook one thing - macaroni and cheese. So, for the first ten years of their marriage my mother cooked macaroni and cheese every Wednesday, and for ten years my dad eat it with gusto. After ten years, one day mom put mac and cheese on the table and daddy didn't get any. When asked if he was sick, he answered that he didn't like mac and cheese. Mom was concerned and asked him when he stopped liking it. He answered in a quiet voice, "I never liked macaroni and cheese." This took mom by surprise. She thought he loved it. She asked him. "Why didn't you tell me?" His answer demonstrated the depth of his love - a love that lasted over 64 years. "I didn't want to hurt you." He knew that everything she did was to please him and he strived to do the same.

My mother eventually developed into an excellent cook, but she wasn't afraid to admit defeat with a recipe. One time, she tried a recipe for tuna casserole. It smelled great and she brought it to table with a degree of fanfare. As she was serving it, she took a taste, promptly picked up the casserole and dumped it in the trash. We had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that day.

Several of my family members expressed a desire for my mom's recipes during the gathering for her memorial service this last weekend. In honor of her, I will be posting at least one to two recipes every week until I have gone through her entire recipe box.

All I need to do is select the one to post. If anyone, has suggestions let me know

No comments:

Post a Comment