Monday, July 30, 2012

Hamburger Casserole

I started cooking during the summer following my thirteenth birthday.  My mother had had back surgery with spinal fusion and was not allowed to be out of bed standing for any length of time for nine weeks that summer.  Being the oldest of three children - no girls - it was "learn to cook or starve."  I learned to cook and for several weeks that summer my family had to suffer as I stumbled in my first attempts at cooking.

I think I discovered 100 ways to cook hamburger during the summer.  This was the first dish I learned after hamburger patties.  My mom taught me by giving directions from her bed.  It's a great main dish that you can throw together in about fifteen minutes.  I loved it a child and my kids love it as well.  The added benefit of this recipe is it actually tastes better the second day.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground meat - Brown and drain
3 Potatoes - pealed and sliced thin
2 Onions - sliced thin
2 cans (with water) or 1 lbs frozen - whole kernal corn (If you use frozen corn add 1/2 cup water)
Ketchup
In casserole dish, layer 1/3 meat, 1/2 onions, 1/2 corn and 1/2 potatoes.  Repeat. 
Finish with meat.  Top with half bottle of ketchup.  
Cover with aluminum foil and bake until potatoes are tender - about 45 minutes.
Remove aluminum foil last fifteen minutes.
Serve with salad or green vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment