Thursday, July 26, 2012

I Just Call It Curry

A number of years ago, my wife, our 20 month old son and I lived in Singapore for ten weeks.  During that time, I developed a taste for curry that we could purchase at a hawker market less than one block away.  Many evenings, my wife of four years and I would walk down to the hawker stands and enjoy a meal of satay or curried lamb or chicken.  I loved it any way I could find it. Unfortunately, I never took the time to learn how it was made while we lived there.  When we returned to the States several years later, after almost four years in the Philippines, I longed again for that taste and experience.  The thing I remembered most was the blend of curried meat and a variety of condiments.

This evening, my son called for the recipe and I was once again transported to 1981 and our time in Singapore.  So, Son.  Here's my version of curry.  Those of you from Asian-Indian heritage, please forgive this Westerner for his doubtless flawed attempt to duplicate the rich culinary heritage of your culture.

My Version of Curried Meat

Brown 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef, lamb or turkey.

Drain grease and add 1 cup water or chicken broth

Add to taste:

2 - 2 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
(optional: coconut milk)

Simmer until water mostly absorbed.  Meat will be basically dry.  Serve over rice with the following condiments.

In separate bowls:

Raisins
Bananas - chopped
Pineapple - chopped
Shredded coconut
Peanuts
Cucumber - chopped
Sweet bell pepper - chopped
Tomato - chopped

When you eat the curry, take a different combination of the condiments with each bits.  You'd be amazed at the variety of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment