Thursday, August 22, 2013

Simple Potato Soup

Here's a recipe I came up with last night.  It was one of my "cooking by ear" experiments that turned out pretty good.  My kids have always complained that I can never repeat anything because I cook on the fly.   I think I can remember all of this one.

Ingredients:

5-7 medium red or yellow potatoes - cubed (peels on)
1/2 medium onion - minced
1 clove garlic minced
2 stalks celery - minced (optional)
4 pieces of bacon chopped - I used hickory smoked (optional)
6 - 8 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 stick butter
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold water

(Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped parsley -  optional)

Brown the bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Add onion, garlic and celery and Sauté until tender.
Add potatoes and chicken broth.  Cook until potatoes are tender.  Once potatoes are cooked, roughly mash but leave large chunks of potato.

Add milk, sour cream and butter.  Heat and stir until they are incorporated.

Add cornstarch mixture is and allow to thicken.

Top with cheddar cheese and parsley if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment